Marcy is an attorney in our Columbia office with over twenty years’ experience in both workers’ compensation and civil litigation, with a particular emphasis on defending occupational accident claims. She also regularly defends claims related to insurance coverage, governmental liability and premises liability, with substantial experience appearing before all South Carolina trial courts and the South Carolina Workers’ Compensation Commission, as well as the South Carolina Court of Appeals and the South Carolina Supreme Court. In addition, Marcy is admitted to practice before the United States District Court for the District of South Carolina, the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, and the United States Supreme Court.
Marcy is a co-author of multiple editions of The Law of Workers’ Compensation Insurance in South Carolina (SC Bar), one of South Carolina’s most thorough and scholarly resources on workers’ compensation law. She has been selected multiple times for inclusion in the Best Lawyers in America® and in 2013, she was selected by Super Lawyers® for inclusion in the South Carolina Super Lawyers Rising Stars List® in the field of workers’ compensation defense litigation. Marcy is an active member of the South Carolina Bar, the South Carolina Workers’ Compensation Educational Association, and the South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys’ Association.
Marcy is a lifelong resident of Columbia, South Carolina, and when not practicing law, she can usually be found at various golf courses around the state watching her youngest son compete in tournaments or at Heathwood Hall watching her oldest son playing football.
PROFESSIONAL AND CIVIC INVOLVEMENT:
- American Bar Association
- South Carolina Bar Association
- Richland County Bar Association
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys Association
- South Carolina Workers’ Compensation Education Association
- South Carolina Bar Mock Trial Middle School Competition, Attorney Coach and Judge
- Heathwood Hall Episcopal School Parent Board member
- Heathwood Hall Episcopal School Annual Auction Committee member
University of South Carolina School of Law:
- Member and Associate Justice of the Moot Court Bar
- Member, Order of the Wig and Robe
- The Law of Workers’ Compensation Insurance in South Carolina, Co-Author, (South Carolina Bar) Supplement (2000); Third Edition (2003); Fourth Edition (2005); Fifth Edition (2008); & Sixth Edition (2012)
- Selected for inclusion by Best Lawyers in America® 2010; 2011; 2012; & 2013, for practice of workers’ compensation defense litigation.
- Selected by Super Lawyers© for inclusion in the 2013 Edition of the South Carolina Super Lawyers Rising Stars List for practice of workers’ compensation defense litigation.