Matt holds himself to the highest standards, earning the trust of each client through exemplary professionalism, hard work, and integrity. He remains dedicated to the defense of his clients regardless of how difficult or complex the matter may become.
Matt joined the US Army as an Airborne Infantryman after graduating high school. During his service to our country, he developed a heart for serving and defending others. After his service, while attending college, Matt owned and operated small businesses gaining invaluable experience that allows him to better relate to his clients as he is able to guide them from a business and legal perspective.
Following a lifelong dream of becoming a lawyer, Matt began his second career by enrolling at the Campbell University School of Law. During law school, he received the Alan L. Button Award for Christian Service, served as a leader in several student organizations, and earned his Masters of Business Administration. Prior to joining Hedrick Gardner, Matt was an associate at a small Raleigh firm focusing most of his time on construction litigation and the defense of design professionals.
Matt is a recent transplant to Charlotte after living in Raleigh for over 20 years. When he is not advocating for his clients, you will find him practicing Gracie Jiu Jitsu where he has earned medals on both the regional and national levels. He was awarded his black belt in October of 2019 and enjoys providing one-on-one instruction to law enforcement personnel in personal defensive tactics. He is a proud father to a son in the Air Force and a daughter who is a student at UNCW.
PROFESSIONAL AND CIVIC INVOLVEMENT:
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Wake County Bar Association
- Tenth Judicial Bar
- Habitat for Humanity, Mission Leader: Hope Lutheran, 2008 – 2013
- Altar Care Team, Member: Hope Lutheran, 2010 – 2014
- Service & Outreach Team, Member: Hope Lutheran, 2010 – 2014
- Wake Correctional Prison Ministry, Member: The Summit Church, 2016 – 2017
- Campbell University School of Law
- Pro Bono Council, Education Project, Spring 2017
- Wills for Heroes, October 2016
- Capital Area Veterans Stand Down, LANC Expungement Project, October 2015
- Education Law and Policy Society, Founding President, 2017 – 2018
- Christian Legal Society, Treasurer, 2016 – 2018
- International Law Society, Treasurer, 2017 – 2018
- International Law Society, Member, 2016 – 2017
- Military Law Student Association, Member, 2016 – 2018
- Campbell University School of Law:
- Alan L. Button Award for Christian Service, 2018
- Dean’s Excellence Scholarship Recipient, 2014 – 2018
- Honoratos Emeritus Scholarship Recipient, 2014 – 2018