Catherine is a partner in the firm’s Raleigh office, where she focuses her practice on employment law. Catherine has significant experience in resolving human resources matters, including:
- Defending discrimination, wrongful discharge, retaliation, and harassment claims;
- Drafting and reviewing employment agreement, severance agreements, and non-compete/non-solicitation agreements;
- Litigating covenants not to compete disputes, breach of contract claims, and wage and hour disputes;
- Advising management in the development of appropriate workplace policies and practices; and
- Providing training to Human Resources professionals and manager on employment law.
Catherine also serves as general counsel to several North Carolina occupational licensing boards, and advises boards on a variety of legal issues, including the N.C. Public Records laws, statutory reporting and auditing requirements, personnel matters, State Open Meetings laws, State ethics laws, rulemaking matters, and legislative liaising. She routinely appears before Boards and the NC Office of Administrative Hearings to prosecute disciplinary matters.
Among her recognitions are the N.C. Bar Association’s Robinson O. Everett Award (2017), North Carolina Super Lawyers® Rising Stars list (2012-2021), Best Lawyers of America list (2021-2023), and she is Rated AV® Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell®.
Catherine’s free time usually is split between scout camping trips, PTA meetings, and bringing order to chaos in a happy and loud household.
PROFESSIONAL AND CIVIC INVOLVEMENT:
- Member of the North Carolina Bar Association Board of Governors, 2015-2018.
- Secretary for the Young Lawyers Division of the N.C. Bar Association, 2014.
- N.C. State Bar Delegate to the ABA’s House of Delegates, 2009-2011.
- Member of the N.C. Bar Association Administrative Law Section Council (termexpiring 2022); Diversity Committee Chair, 2019-2020.
- Chair of the N.C. Bar Association Annual Meeting Committee, 2019-2020.
- Board of Operation Kids on Guard, Inc., Member
- Troop Officer, Girl Scouts of America.
- N.C. Bar Association’s Charles F. Blanchard Outstanding Young Lawyer Award, 2009.
- N.C. Bar Association’s Robinson O. Everett Award, 2017.
- Recognized since 2012 on the North Carolina Super Lawyers® Rising Stars list.
- Rated AV® by Martindale-Hubbell®.
CV, BV and AV are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell® certification procedure’s standards and policies.