Serving as Of Counsel in the Raleigh office, M. Jackson Nichols wields tremendous experience in his practice, which focuses on administrative law and civil litigation. Along with a strong set of lifelong core values, Jack strives to serve his clients with utmost integrity and as a trustworthy leader in legal matters.
His practice concentrates on public policy development and advocacy, administrative law, and civil litigation. He has taught Administrative Law and Constitutional Law at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and Campbell University School of Law. He has also represented clients in more than 100 hearings at the Office of Administrative Hearings, and has been Counsel of Record in over 60 appellate cases.
Among his litigation cases, he has successfully resolved sexual harassment claims, EEOC claims, retaliation, whistleblowers, commercial cases involving Unfair Trade Practice claims, violation of non-compete agreements, violations of the N.C. Trade Secrets Act, wage and hour cases, jury trials, professional defamation, and product disparagement cases.
His consistent excellence has led to recognition as among the Best Lawyers in America® in Administrative Law since 2003, including selection as the Administrative/Regulatory Lawyer of the Year in 2020, and recognition among Super Lawyers in 2006 and 2009-present. He is also Rated AV® by Martindale-Hubbell®.
Jack enjoys karate, yoga, gardening, camping, and reading as his diversions of choice, and prefers Hawaii as his vacation locale.
PROFESSIONAL AND CIVIC INVOLVEMENT:
- Publicly elected member, Wake County Board of Commissioners, 1990-1994.
- Chair, N.C. Bar Association Administrative Law Section, 1994-1995; Membership Committee, 2000-2002.
- Regular presenter at CLE Programs.
- Co-Founder, Board Chair, and General Counsel, Wake County SmartStart.
- Scoutmaster and Eagle Scout, Boy Scouts of America, Occoneechee Council.
- President, Occoneechee Council, BSA, 1997-1999. Board member, 1987 to present.
- Member, Wake Medical Center Board of Directors, 2009-2014.
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in America® in Administrative Law since 2003, including selection as the Administrative/Regulatory Lawyer of the Year in 2020.
- Selected to Super Lawyers in 2006 and 2009-present.
- Rated AV® by Martindale-Hubbell®.
CV, BV and AV are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell® certification procedure’s standards and policies.