Before retiring from the firm on April 15, 2019, Martha was a partner in the litigation practice area of Hedrick Gardner’s Charlotte office. Her experience encompasses over 36 years defending clients in civil matters in both State and Federal Courts, including automobile, premises and products liability claims, and representing insurance carriers and employers in workers’ compensation claims. For the last 20 years, she devoted her practice almost exclusively to workers’ compensation defense and alternative dispute resolution.
Martha represented some of the largest insurance carriers and self-insured businesses in the state, litigating matters before the North Carolina Industrial Commission, and handled appeals to the North Carolina Court of Appeals and Supreme Court. Her practice involved all areas of workers’ compensation defense, including: injury by accident and specific traumatic incident claims; occupational disease cases such as repetitive motion disorders, chemical exposure, cancer and other complex disease claims; and matters involving the trucking and transportation industries. She tailored her handling of each case to meet the client’s needs and goals, whether by early resolution or strong defense at hearing. Martha also served as a mediator in workers’ compensation cases, using her background and experience to assist the participants in understanding each other’s viewpoints.
Prior to retiring, Martha was an active member of the Mecklenburg County Bar Association, where she has served on the Lawyers Referral and the Grievance Committees; the North Carolina State Bar; the North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys, where she served as a member of the Board of Directors from 2003 to 2007; and Defense Research Institute, where she is a member of the Women In Law Committee.
Martha was recognized as Lawyers’ Weekly’s Charlotte, North Carolina 2013 Lawyer of the Year in the field of workers’ compensation, representation of employers, as well as named a NC Lawyers Weekly 2013 Leader in the Law. She was also named one of Business Leader Magazine’s Women Extraordinaire for 2009. She has been selected by her peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2012-2019 in the field of Workers’ Compensation Law – Employers. Martha is AV Preeminent rated with Martindale-Hubbell for her skill and integrity in the legal profession and is registered in their Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers.
Martha founded Hedrick Gardner’s Women to Women initiative, a program focused on providing business development, mentoring and leadership training.
PROFESSIONAL AND CIVIC INVOLVEMENT:
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys
- Member, Board of Directors (2003-2007)
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Member, Women in Law Committee
- Litigation Counsel of America
- Recognized as Lawyers’ Weekly’s Charlotte, North Carolina 2013 Lawyer of the Year in the field of Workers’ Compensation, Representation of Employers
- Named NC Lawyers’ Weekly 2013 Leader in the Law
- Named one of Business Leader Magazine’s Women Extraordinaire for 2009
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2012-2019 in the field of Workers’ Compensation Law – Employers
- Maintains an AV Preeminent rating with Martindale-Hubbell and is registered in their Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers